SUMMER is tantalisingly close – so we've pulled together some of the best sun dresses available to shop right now, that are guaranteed to get you in the mood for lighter days.
Whether you've got a holiday coming up or are looking to get ahead of your seasonal wardrobe, a cute sun dress never fails to put a little pep in your step.
And this season, there are some beauties already stealing their way onto our wishlist – from statement floral dresses and boho maxis to neutral linen midis that will always look chic and timeless.
There are about a million ways you can do a sun dress: the options are endless, so choose silhouettes you love and know suit you, or experiment with a sleeve or print you've not worn before for a bolder take.
To make it easier, we've scoured the net and picked out a must-see assortment of frocks to suit every taste, budget and body type this summer.
Read on for our pick of the best sun dresses.
Tiers never fail to look incredible on sun dresses: they give great shape and movement, which is always a win for staying cool in the heat.
Finished in a mustard shade of yellow, this one will look great with a tan and leather sandals.
25 Amazon Essentials Women's Fluid Twill Tiered Midi Summer Dress Credit: Amazon Amazon Essentials Women's Fluid Twill Tiered Midi Summer Dress, £24.60 from Amazon – buy here
Hot pink summer vibes: yes please.
This colour-popping dress of dreams is available in seven other colours and prints, although this bold hue definitely gets our vote. At under £25, it's a bargain too.
READ MORE: Best white t-shirt for women Best trainers to wear with dresses Best women's bomber jackets Best cashmere scarf for women Best pyjamas for women 3. STYLEWORD Women's V Neck Floral Spaghetti Strap Summer Dress STYLEWORD Women's V Neck Floral Spaghetti Strap Summer Dress, £24.99 from Amazon – buy here
Earn your fashion stripes this summer with this spaghetti-strap dress.
Decked out in fabulous candy stripes, the wrap front and fit and flare cut is ultra-flattering to boot.
4. SOLERSUN Womens Sleeveless Summer Dress Floral Printed SOLERSUN Womens Sleeveless Summer Dress Floral Printed, £23.99 from Amazon – buy here
You can't go wrong with a full-skirted strappy sun dress – especially when it's emblazoned with beautiful blooms.
The black background of this one gives it a 90s feel, team with Dr Martens and an oversized shirt for a grungy summer style.
5. Wsqalllife Floral Summer Dress Wsqalllife Floral Summer Dress, £17.66 from Amazon – buy here
We love this red spotty print: it brings a contemporary feel to the more romantic details like the floaty angel sleeves of this dress.
The tie waist fastening cinches in the silhouette too, so you don't even need to add a belt.
6. Mango Belt Linen Dress Belt linen dress, £59.99 from Mango – buy here
Linen is a hero fabric in the summer months: it's cool, comfortable and ultra-breathable.
With a chic crossover design and midi length, this neutral dress comes with a woven belt and is a timeless style that will never go out of fashion.
7. Mango Open Back Printed Dress Open Back Printed Dress, £35.99 from Mango – buy here
We're obsessed with this retro print – and you will be too.
With an open back and gathered neck detail, the silhouette makes it perfect for parties and summer events when you want to impress: think Bianca Jagger dancing the night away at Studio 54.
8. M&S Collection Embroidered Square Neck Midaxi Tiered Dress M&S Collection Embroidered Square Neck Midaxi Tiered Dress, £39.50 from M&S – buy here
M&S alwsy has some lovely dresses in for the summer – and this tiered midaxi is no exception.
Eye-catching in fuschia, the embroidery and tassel detailing add a boho feel that's ideal for relaxed days.
9. M&S Collection Pure Cotton V-Neck Mini Tiered Dress M&S Collection Pure Cotton V-Neck Mini Tiered Dress, £45 from M&S – buy here
Another boho style from M&S, this one has striking green embroidery that contrasts beautifully with the white cotton.
Team with gladiator sandals and plenty of bangles for effortless sundress glamour.
10. John Lewis ANYDAY Stripe Smock Jersey Mini Dress John Lewis ANYDAY Stripe Smock Jersey Mini Dress, £24 from John Lewis – buy here
Sun dresses don't
have to be dressy: this jersey is soft and comfy, but still stands out thanks to the striped finish and frill sleeve detail.
It's crafted from pure cotton and has a slightly loose fit that will make it perfect for casual weekends.
11. Mint Velvet Kimora Plait Detail Abstract Print Maxi Dress Mint Velvet Kimora Plait Detail Abstract Print Maxi Dress, £89 from John Lewis – buy here
It's all about the abstract print with this bold maxi, finished in navy and cream for a slightly softer feel than classic black and white.
The halterneck neckline is enhanced with plait detail at the back, making this a dress that looks just as good from behind.
12. New Look Off White Spot Strappy Tiered Mini Smock Dress Off White Spot Strappy Tiered Mini Smock Dress, £19.99 from New Look – buy here
Polka dots are always fun: in fact, we challenge you not to wear this New Look dress and have a smile on your face.
The loose fit and strappy cut means it can be dressed up or down, depending on your mood – or the occasion. Picnic by day, cocktails by night, anyone?
13. Cutie London Black Gingham Frill Twist Front Mini Dress Cutie London Black Gingham Frill Twist Front Mini Dress, £28 from New Look – buy here
Cutie London by name, cutie by nature: this gingham mini is seriously adorable!
Available via New Look, we love the brand's take on summer dressing: the sweetheart neckline is always a flattering choice and the frilled hem is inspired.
14. New Look Pink Floral V Neck Puff Sleeve Mini Dress Pink Floral V Neck Puff Sleeve Mini Dress, £19.99 from New Look – buy here
Every wardrobe needs a ditsy floral tea dress: it's a classic that stays feminine and classic but can also be dressed down for a more grunge-inspired feel.
This one is made all the more fun with pretty puff sleeves that will feel nicely airy on balmy evenings.
15. Free People Taking Sides Maxi Taking Sides Maxi, £98 from Free People – buy here
This Free People dress proves you can very much do black and gothic with your summer dress – but don't worry if that's not your vibe, as it comes in loads of bright colours too.
With an open-back design and smocked bodice, this floaty number is fully lined.
16. Free People On My Mind Mini On My Mind Mini, £58 from Free People – buy here
Crafted from hemp and cotton, this summery dress is from Free People's Care FP range which means it's been made with an eco-conscious design: it contains "at least 50% of a certified eco-conscious fibre or process."
It's super cute too: we love the relaxed silhouette and the way it's been styled with an arm cuff for a boho beach feel.
17. River Island Plus Black Frill Bardot Midi Dress Plus Black Frill Bardot Midi Dress, £35 from River Island – buy here
Available from sizes 18 to 28, the Bardot neckline of this frilll-trimed midi is a style that always looks ultra-chic.
Available in mustard yellow too, it's a dress that can easily be styled up or down depending on the occasion.
18. River Island White Floral Beach Mini Dress White Floral Beach Mini Dress, £39 from River Island – buy here
Shirring and embroidery are always a surefire way to give a dress summery beach appeal – and this mini by River Island is a winner.
From the tassel neck toe to the scallop tier, it's full of design details that make it feel really unique.
19. Monsoon Denim Frill Sleeve Sun Dress in Sustainable Cotton Blue Denim Frill Sleeve Sun Dress in Sustainable Cotton Blue, £65 from Monsoon – buy here
Made from 100% sustainable cotton, the simple sleeveless design of this denim flared dress is given plenty of dimension with the frill sleeve detail.
The result is a midi that feels elevated – but will still look amazing rocked with a pair of trainers.
20. Monsoon Dorothea Square Neck Dress in Sustainable Cotton Natural Dorothea Square Neck Dress in Sustainable Cotton Natural, £75 from Monsoon – buy here
Lean into summery hippie vibes with this printed maxi dress made from sustainably sourced cotton.
With ruffle detailing on the bodice, this strappy frock has an open back with tie detail.
21. Urban Outfitters Ella Linen Midi Dress UO Ella Linen Midi Dress, £65 from Urban Outfitters – buy here
Channel milkmaid chic with this midi dress from Urban Outfitters.
With a prairie silhouette and shirred bodice, the crisp white linen and cotton fabric is as summery as it gets.
22. Urban Outfitters Orange Paisley Mesh Maxi Dress UO Orange Paisley Mesh Maxi Dress, £49 from Urban Outfitters – buy here
This 90s-style dress by Urban Outfitters is fully lined and features a semi-sheer mesh overlay.
One shopper raves: "girls with a bigger bust, this dress is for you. It can still be worn with a bra without the back being shown, you also don’t have to size up for ur boobs either".
23. Tu Maternity Yellow Zebra Midi Dress Tu Maternity Yellow Zebra Midi Dress, £22 from Sainsbury's – buy here
Get your summer maternity wardrobe sorted with comfortable but stylish dresses like this one by Tu at Sainsbury's.
The yellow zebra print is perfect for making a statement, and it's ideal for holding onto post-partum as one shopper notes it's "suitable for pregnancy and non-pregnancy as the only fitted part is the bust."
24. Twisted Wunder Grace Dress Twisted Wunder Grace Dress, £42 from Simply Be – buy here
London-based brand, Twisted Wunder, is full of retro-inspired prints and silhouettes that we're absolutely obsessed with.
It's hard to choose a fave, but the Grace dress with its multicoloured swirl print and flutter sleeves is a definite contender.
25. Joe Browns Santorini Summer Dress Joe Browns Santorini Summer Dress, £39 from Simply Be – buy here
Available in sizes 12 to 32, this Joe Browns dress is inspired by the Greek island of Santorini – and is exclusive to Simply Be, so don't sleep on it.
The maxi length and adjustable bodice tie give it a comfortable and relaxed edge, perfect for laidback weekends.
How to wear a sun dress in winter
If you're looking to get more out of your clothing, then it's possible to make your summer dress last well into the winter with a few simple layering additions.
Try a knitted vest over a midi frock and swap sandals for a knee-high boot for a completely different take on summer styling.
Strappy dresses, meanwhile, look great with a turtleneck jumper layered underneath for a 90s feel, while a chunky knit or oversized sweater worn over a mini with woolly tights is laidback and perfectly cosy.
Where to buy sun dresses
The high street and online are stocked up with some beautiful summer dresses, so you won't have to look far.
We turned to our faves for the options in this list: from Mango, M&S and John Lewis to New Look, River Island and Urban Outfitters.
Looking for more stylish savings at your favourite fashion chains? Visit Sun Vouchers where you’ll find amazing discounts and voucher codes for hundreds of fashion retailers including ASOS, Very, River Island, Roman Originals, New Look and more.
Read Full Article