Are PIP benefit rates going up in 2023 and how much can I get? | The Sun

MILLIONS who struggle with health conditions or a disability might be eligible for free cash.

Personal Independence Payments, otherwise known as PIP, are worth up to as much as £172.75 a week at the moment.

If you don't claim already it's well worth checking to see if you're eligible – and it doesn't matter if you're out of work.

PIP can boost your income by thousands of pounds a year if you're eligible.

Earlier this year the total amount that people can claim increased by around £20 a week.

This was part of the planned rise which affected several major benefits including Universal Credit and Housing Benefit.

Read more in money


What other benefits can I claim with PIP and what grants are available?


Full list of free cash, discounts and freebies you can get if you receive PIP

Benefits payments like PIP generally rise every April in order to keep up with the cost of things like food and household bills.

The process is known as "uprating" and tends to see payments go up by the previous September's inflation rate.

Figures released a few weeks ago showed that stubborn inflation stuck at 6.7% in September 2023.

It's expected that the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will confirm how much benefits will be uprated by in November.

Most read in Money


Cash payment worth £300 landing in bank accounts from TODAY – exact code to spot


Martin Lewis’ warning to EVERY Brit with bank account over ‘scourge on society’


I tested all supermarket ready meal lasagnes – winner was the cheapest of all


Pot Noodle brings back limited edition flavour for Christmas – fans are divided

For example in April this year benefits were hiked by 10.1%, in line with last September's inflation rate.

This was then confirmed during the Autumn Statement.

It means that in April we could see PIP rise by 6.7%.

Uprating ensures that payments can keep up with the cost of living like food, clothes and fuel.

Below we explain how much PIP payments went up by and who is eligible.

How much will PIP payments rise in 2024?

If the uprating does go ahead at 6.7% it'll mean an increase for those on PIP as well as other benefits from April.

PIP helps with the extra cost of living for those with illnesses or disabilities.

There are two elements to PIP: a daily living part if you need help with everyday tasks, and a mobility part if you need help with getting around.

There are two rates for each part – standard or enhanced – depending on the level of your needs.

These are the current rates for PIP:

  • Standard daily living component: £68.10
  • Enhanced daily living component: £101.75
  • Standard mobility component: £71.00
  • Enhanced mobility component: £26.90

These will be the 2024 rates for PIP if they go up by 6.7% in April:

  • Standard daily living component: £72.66
  • Enhanced daily living component: £108.57
  • Standard mobility component: £75.76
  • Enhanced mobility component: £28.70

But it's important to remember the government could decide to increase benefit rates by a different amount.

The exact amount more you get will also depend on exactly how much your benefit payments are each month.

When claiming PIP you'll be assessed by a health professional to work out the level of help you can get.

Your rate should be regularly reviewed to make sure you’re getting the right support.

Payments are usually made every four weeks directly into your bank account, and they're tax-free.

As well as your Personal Independence Payment, you should get access to extra help and benefits on top too, like a reduction on your council tax.

Who can get PIP?

PIP is available to those aged 16 or over but have not yet reached the state pension age.

The current state pension age is 66 but this is set to rise to 68.

You must have lived in England or Wales for at least two out of the last three years, and be in one of these countries when you apply.

The process is different in Northern Ireland, and there are additional rules if you live abroad or if you’re not a British citizen.

In Scotland you will need to apply for Adult Disability Payment (ADP) instead.

Crucially, you must also have a health condition or disability where you either have had difficulties with daily living or getting around – or both- for three months, and you expect these difficulties to continue for at least nine months (unless you're terminally ill with less than 12 months to live).

Difficulties with daily living can include:

  • Preparing or eating food
  • Washing, bathing and using the toilet
  • Dressing and undressing
  • Reading and communicating
  • Managing your medicines or treatments
  • Making decisions about money
  • Engaging with other people

You can claim PIP at the same time as other benefits, except the armed forces independence payment.

If you receive constant attendance allowance you will receive less of the daily living part of PIP.

If you get war pensioners' mobility supplement you will not get the mobility part of PIP.

How do I apply for PIP?

You can make a new Personal Independence Payment (PIP) claim by calling the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) on 0800 917 2222.

This is the government department tasked with paying out benefits to millions every year.

There are also other ways to claim if you find it difficult to use a telephone. See Gov.UK for more information.

When you claim, you'll need:

  • Your contact details
  • Date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • Bank or building society account number and sort code
  • Your doctor or health worker’s name, address and telephone number
  • Dates and addresses for any time you’ve spent abroad, in a care home or hospital

Someone else can call on your behalf, but you’ll need to be with them when they call.

You'll then be sent a form to fill in, after which you'll be invited for an assessment or your health or social care worker will be asked for information.

Read More on The Sun


I’m not picky but my son’s Minion cake is the ugliest I’ve ever seen


I worked at Greggs for 50 years & can't believe one of its top lines took off

After this, you'll be sent a letter telling you if your claim has been successful.

You can read Citizens Advice’s help on preparing for an assessment.

Do you have a money problem that needs sorting? Get in touch by emailing [email protected].

You can also join our new Sun Money Facebook group to share stories and tips and engage with the consumer team and other group members.

Source: Read Full Article