Brain-eating amoeba death in Iowa after swimmer contracted Naegleria fowleri while visiting the Lake of Three Fires | The Sun

A MAN has died weeks after being infected by brain-eating amoeba while swimming in a lake during a trip to Iowa.

The Missouri man is believed to have contracted Naegleria fowleri while visiting the Lake of Three Fires in Taylor County.

The unidentified man had been hospitalized at a Jefferson City hospital since coming down with the rare infection in early July.

The detection of Naegleria fowleri in the patient shocked doctors and raised concerns about the life-threatening disease.

According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Naegleria is a single-celled ameba that can cause a rare, life-threatening brain infection called primary amebic meningoencephalitis.

The CDC says the amoeba lives in warm freshwaters, such as lakes, rivers, ponds, hot springs and soil.

Read More News

Moms of babies killed by illness reveal why key symptoms are easily missed

Naegleria fowleri infects people when water containing the amoeba enters the body through the nose.

The amoeba then travels up the nose to the brain, where it destroys brain tissue.

Health officials in Missouri believe the man contacted the infection at Lake of Three Fires near Bedford, Iowa, about two hours north of Kansas City.

It’s the first confirmed case in the state in 35 years, the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services said.

Most read in The Sun


I was desperate to leave Love Island & bosses convinced me to stay, says Jacques


Mum, 43, mauled to death by her dogs and man badly hurt 'trying to save her'

love delivery

Love Island star Jacques O'Neill looks downcast as he heads out for pizza


I used to work at Primark – never pay attention to hanger sizes

Since 1962, only 154 known cases have been identified in the US.

The only other case identified in a Missouri resident occurred in 1987, according to DHSS.

There were three cases of Naegleria fowleri-related infections reported in the US in 2021, according to the CDC's most recent data.

Last year, a three-year-old boy died after contracting the waterborne brain-eating amoeba from a splash pad at a park in Texas.

The amoeba cannot spread from one person to another and cannot be contracted by swallowing contaminated water.

Symptoms can include severe headaches, fever, nausea, vomiting, stiff neck, seizures, altered mental state, and hallucinations.

Health officials said people could take action to reduce the risk of infection by limiting the amount of water going up the nose.

Read More On The Sun

The View fans beg for Sara’s return after sparking concern with health scare

Girl, 6, dies and teen hurt after murder suspect slams into car during chase

People are encouraged to hold their noses shut by using nose clips or keeping their heads above water when participating in water-related activities in bodies of warm freshwater.

Experts also advise people to avoid putting their heads under the water in hot springs and other untreated thermal waters.

    Source: Read Full Article