Man suffered horrific injuries in ‘homophobic’ attack after sharing kiss in bar

A man was left with head injuries in what he thinks was a homophobic attack after he kissed another man.

Christopher Haughey needed hospital treatment after he was attacked by two men in Belfast on Saturday afternoon.

The 31-year-old believes he was targeted because was seen kissing a man in a nearby bar before he left to go home.

He told Belfast Live : “I walked to the Glider bus stop, which was delayed. So I walked around to the side of the Jury’s Inn to eat food I’d bought.

“I came back round the corner and I was attacked at the lights. It was two people. They pushed me and then hit me with something over the head.”

Police have confirmed that they are investigating the attack, and Christopher said he’s been left “embarrassed” by the incident.

  • Mum-of-three dies suddenly in her sleep aged 38 leaving community in shock

  • 'True clowns don't wear masks' – chilling words of paedophile children's entertainer

He said: “There’s no other reason why it would have happened [apart from being gay].

"The police brought me to the Royal Victoria Hospital for treatment.

"I got five staples in my head. It’s embarrassing that it’s happened, it’s humilating.

“It really knocks your confidence. It’s embarrassing to lift your hand to anybody.”

Police Service of Northern Ireland sergeant McCartney said enquiries are continuing.

He said: “Shortly before 2.45pm, it was reported that a man in his 30s was assaulted at the junction with Great Victoria Street by a man armed with a bag.

"The man was taken to hospital for head injuries, which are not believed to be serious.

“Another man was present with the alleged attacker during the incident.

“The male attacker is described as wearing a cap, dark top, grey trousers and carrying a grey handbag.

"The second male is described as wearing a dark coat with a fur lining on the hood, dark trousers and dark shoes.

"He is described as having a beard and walking a dark coloured dog.

“Enquiries are continuing and we would appeal to anyone with any information to contact police on 101."

Source: Read Full Article