Supermarkets including Lidl, Tesco and Iceland to change opening hours on Sunday and Monday for Euro 2020 finals
SUPERMARKETS are changing their opening hours to allow staff and shoppers to watch the game – and recover from the excitement.
Kick off is at 8pm on Sunday and will see the home team face Italy in a sold-out clash at Wembley.
Brits painted the town red on Wednesday after England's 2-1 victory against Denmark causing worse-for-wear fans to call in sick on Thursday.
It will be the first time England has reached the final in 55 years and celebrations are expected to be massive if they take home the cup.
And it's not just supermarkets. Schools and firms have also told staff and pupils they will be opening late on Monday after the final.
It comes amid mounting calls for an extra summer bank holiday if England win so the nation can celebrate the Three Lions’ success.
How to cut the cost of your grocery shop
SAVING on your shop can make a big difference to your wallet. Here are some tips from comparison site Money.co.uk about how you can cut the cost of your shopping bills:
- Write yourself a list – Only buy items that you need. If it isn’t on your list, don’t put it in the trolley
- Create a budget – Work out a weekly budget for your food shopping
- Never shop hungry – you are far more likely to buy more food if your tummy is rumbling
- Don’t buy pre-chopped veggies or fruit – The extra they’ll charge for chopping can be eye watering
- Use social media – follow your favourite retailers to find out about the latest deals
- Be disloyal – You may want to go to different stores to find the best bargains
- Check the small print – It’s always worth checking the price per kg/lb/litre when comparing offers so you’re making a like for like decision as a bigger box won’t necessarily mean you get more
- Use your loyalty cards – Don’t be afraid to sign up to them all. They all work slightly differently – work out what bonus suits you better and remember to trade in your points for additional rewards
PM Boris Johnson has ruled out a day off on Monday — but is considering one in August if England win.
Here, we take you through what time supermarkets will open and close on Sunday and Monday to make time for the game:
Tesco has said its Express stores will close at 7:45pm on Sunday to give staff enough time to get to the pub to catch kick off.
Larger stores have to close earlier anyway due to Sunday trading hour regulations.
Express shops will be open again as normal on Monday morning, regardless of an England win.
You can find your nearest branch and its opening hours using the free locator tool.
Lidl shoppers and staff will get an extra hour in bed on Monday if England win the Euros 2020 final.
In anticipation, Lidl has said stores in England will open an hour later than normal to give staff and shoppers extra time to recover from the previous night's celebrations.
Opening hours will be cut short as there are no plans to keep shops open late to make up for the delayed start.
But if England lose, stores will be open as normal.
Opening times vary by store but typically they open from 8am on Monday and close between 9pm and 11pm.
In the case of an England win, shoppers can expect stores to open at 9am instead.
Usual shopping hours will resume on Tuesday July 13.
Lidl UK boss Christian Härtnagel said: "At Lidl, the reason for our success is our people and our team work, which is why we want our teams to be able to celebrate for a little longer if the England team bring it home."
You can find out what time your local Lidl opens using the store locator tool.
Co-op has said that it will also be changing its opening hours to make time for the final.
The retailer will close all 2,034 convenience stores and fuel stations at 7:45pm on Sunday so staff can watch the game.
Co-op's 24 hour petrol station stores in England will reopen again from 11pm.
Iceland has said stores will open an hour later on Monday regardless of whether England win or not.
Most stores open on Monday at 8am until 7pm but on July 12, they will open at 9am.
It will also stop home deliveries after 7pm on Sunday so drivers can get home to watch the game.
You can find out what time your local branch is open using the locator tool.
Source: Read Full Article