BBC accidentally show sign reading 'f*** the Tories' at Wrexham game

BBC accidentally show a fan’s sign reading ‘f*** the Tories’ during Wrexham’s FA Cup game against Sheffield United… three weeks after forward Paul Mullin was banned from wearing boots with the same slogan

  • The channel quickly cut away from the shot when the slogan was revealed
  • A chant of ‘f*** the Tories’ could also be heard on the broadcast during the game
  • The club said they were unaware of Mullin’s actions and condemned the boots

BBC accidentally showed a fan banner reading ‘f*** the Tories’ during their FA Cup coverage on Sunday.

Wrexham took on Sheffield United in the fourth round of the tournament at the Racecourse Ground in a thrilling tie that ended 3-3 after several twists and turns.

As a camera panned round the crowd in the 27th minute of the game, one supporter held up a cutout FA Cup trophy, with a lifted flap displaying the message towards the current government.

An sign reading ‘f*** the Tories’ was shown live on BBC during Wrexham vs Sheffield United

Chants of the same message were audible at several points during the game, while striker Paul Mullin was stopped from wearing personalised boots with the message on three weeks ago.

Mullin is from Liverpool, though the club, including Holywood owners Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenneys, condemned the boots, claiming they take a neutral stance in politics.

A club statement at the time read: ‘The club can confirm that the boots revealed by Paul Mullin on social media will not be worn tonight, or in any other Wrexham AFC fixture and that the photographs taken at the Racecourse Ground were done so without our knowledge or approval.’

Paul Mullin shared pictures of personalised boots with the same phrase, which he didn’t wear

In the game, Wrexham fell behind early on to an Oli McBurnie strike before equalising through James Jones.

Tom O’Connor then put the Welsh side ahead on 61 minutes, but United fired back almost immediately through Oliver Norwood.

Mullin appeared to have won the game for Wrexham – who are three divisions below their opponents – but John Egan equalised deep into stoppage time to force a replay. 

Source: Read Full Article