Dominican Republic police: Suspects were hired to shoot David Ortiz
Dominican Republic police director Ney Aldrin Bautista said at a press conference Wednesday afternoon that the suspects in the shooting of David Ortiz had been hired to do so.
According to Bautista, a group of criminals had charged 400,000 Dominican pesos (about $8,000 dollars) to shoot the former Boston Red Sox star.
The authorities were immediately unable to determine a motive that led to the planning of the attack and did not specify who it was that was paying for the shooting.
"(Authorities) are making a great effort to apprehend these criminals and bring these criminals to justice," prosecutor Jean Alain Rodríguez told reporters at the joint press conference.
Multiple people have been arrested – including the alleged shooter Ramón Martínez Perez – in connection to the attack on Ortiz, which happened outdoors at bar in Santo Domingo on Sunday night.
Rodríguez asked for "patience" as the investigation continues.
"Remember that our country is a country of friendly people who have solidarity with the people's institutions that work to guarantee security."
Bautista said investigators are in the process of analyzing scientific evidence.
"We are not even at 72 hours (since the shooting) and you see the advances we have made and certainly that will continue," Bautista added.
Source: Read Full Article