Hannah Mills and Eilidh McIntyre take sailing gold
Hannah Mills and Eilidh McIntyre take GOLD in the women’s 470-Class as Great Britain’s sailing success continues at the Tokyo Olympics
- Great Britain ruled the waves again as they took gold in the women’s 470-Class
- Hannah Mills becomes the country’s most successful female sailor as she won the competition with Eilidh McIntyre
- They entered the medal race with commanding 14-point lead and a fifth-place finish saw them to victory
- Mills was one of the Team GB flag bearers at the opening ceremony in Tokyo
- McIntyre emulates her father Mike, who won sailing gold for Britain in 1988
- Find out the latest Tokyo Olympic news including schedule, medal table and results right here
Hannah Mills became the most successful female Olympic sailor in history by taking gold in the women’s 470 as Britain continued to rule the waves.
After a terrific Tuesday at Enoshima Yacht Centre that saw two golds and a silver for the British team – including a second title for Giles Scott in the Finn – it was Mills who took centre stage with her team-mate Eilidh McIntyre.
They came into the medal race with a commanding 14-point lead but even that margin of advantage can count for little with double points on offer and the tension ratcheted up. Scott nearly squandered a big lead before winning in the dying moments.
But Mills, 33, and McIntyre, 27, made it look relatively plain sailing here. They spent most of the race in second place but finished fifth, which was more than enough.
Hannah Mills and Eilidh McIntyre celebrate their gold medal in the women’s 470-Class
Already assured of a medal entering the final race, Mills and McIntyre held their nerve for gold
The pair then leaped into the water at the Enoshima Yacht Harbour to celebrate the win
Mills, who was one of the Team GB flag bearers at the opening ceremony, won gold in the class in Rio five years ago and took silver at London 2012.
McIntyre, 27, emulates her father, Mike, who won gold for Britain in the star class at the 1988 Seoul Games.
Poland took the silver medal and France the bronze.
Mills and McIntyre won gold in the women’s 470-Class sailing at Enoshima Yacht Harbour
Mills and McIntyre finished fifth in the medal race to secure another sailing gold for Britain
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article