Scotland 24 Wales 25: Scots throw away half-time lead after Fagerson red card as Welsh go top of Six Nations table

WALES played their get-out-of-jail card again as they beat 14-man opposition for the second week running.

Louis Rees-Zammit’s brace kept them on course for a Six Nations Grand Slam.

Wayne Pivac’s side had their backs to the wall for most of the 80 minutes at a snowy Murrayfield, but the game turned on its head when Scotland prop Zander Fagerson was sent off.

It gave Wales a crucial advantage – as they had against Ireland in round one – and they scored through a brace from star man Rees-Zammit, Liam Williams and Wyn Jones.

Rees-Zammit’s second was superb and the key moment.

Scotland captain Stuart Hogg scored twice after a Darcy Graham effort, but they fell just short and couldn’t back-up their win over England.

Leigh Halfpenny booted Wales into a 3-0 lead.

His team had made a strong start, but it didn’t last.

Finn Russell levelled the scores before Graham crossed for the first try.

The Scotland winger’s try was made by a superb kick by Ali Price. Russell converted.


Scotland then made it two, but it was a try Wales should have prevented.

Hogg kicked ahead and Halfpenny failed to collect. The full-back needed more help from Rees-Zammit, but neither got down to deal with it and Hogg scored.

Russell converted and at that stage Scotland were dominant with their kicking game outclassing Wales’ efforts.

But after Halfpenny was forced off after a nasty collision with Graham, Wales got a crucial score before the break.

Nick Tompkins and Williams sent Rees-Zammit to the line.

Dan Biggar missed touch and Nick Tompkins knocked on as Wales had a shocking start to the second half.

Scotland had a try ruled out and Wales boss Pivac hooked half-backs Gareth Davies and Biggar in favour of rookies Kieran Hardy and Callum Sheedy.

And the brave double substitution worked immediately.

Halfpenny’s replacement and debutant Willis Halaholo and Sheedy sent Rees-Zammit away. He passed to Williams who scored. Sheedy converted.

Things then went from bad to worse for Scotland.

Prop Fagerson was red carded for charging into a ruck and colliding with the head of Wales’ Jones.

Wales went straight on the attack and Jones roused himself from being felled by Fagerson to drive over the line. Sheedy couldn’t convert.

Scotland hit back immediately even with a man down. They turned down several shots at goal and Hogg finished in the corner after Owen Watkin failed to tackle him.

Russell nailed the kick, but he hadn’t banked on a wonder try from Rees-Zammit who chipped ahead at full pace and collected to score.

It meant Wales only led by a point, but they did enough to hang on as Watkin produced a miracle tap tackle in the final play.

Source: Read Full Article