Dragged on road, then run over: Police reveal details of schoolboy’s ordeal
Save articles for later
Add articles to your saved list and come back to them any time.
A group of teens wielding machetes deliberately targeted vulnerable students leaving school the day they abducted a 14-year-old boy and left him with life-altering injuries in Melbourne’s south-east, police say.
The boy remains in hospital and has come out of a six-day induced coma, after three teenagers allegedly assaulted him and put him in a stolen car on September 4 in Glen Huntly, a court was told on Tuesday.
Three teenagers are accused of assaulting a schoolboy in Glen Huntly.Credit: Nine News
He was dragged along the road at high speed while hanging from a car door for about 150 metres, and suffered bleeding on his brain and swelling around his spinal cord after being thrown from the vehicle and then ran over.
A detective told a children’s court these injuries were “potentially permanent and life-altering” and included issues with his speaking, sight and memory.
One of three teens charged over the violent after-school attack, a 15-year-old boy who cannot be named for legal reasons, applied for bail on Tuesday morning.
But police strongly opposed his release into the community after detailing a series of attacks allegedly committed by the same teens, including driving around in stolen cars, threatening people with machetes and driving into a scooter rider.
“It’s believed they’re all random attacks and these offenders have gone on a spree … around school time, 2.30 to 4pm window, targeting vulnerable school kids leaving school,” the detective told the court.
“[The boy’s] offending is escalating dramatically and he shows no regard for his victims.”
A prosecutor labelled the offending as “recent, prolific and extremely serious”.
He said the 15-year-old boy’s release on bail would present an “extremely serious level of danger” to the community.
Police gathering evidence at the scene of the incident earlier this month.Credit: Nine News
“The offending is random, violent, against random young people in the community,” he told the court.
“This offending illustrates that the entire community is potentially at risk.”
The boy was living in a stolen BMW with his mother when police arrested him on September 9, the court was told.
Their previous Cranbourne address was searched by police, who found that the home’s windows were smashed, doors off hinges and with minimal personal items or furniture inside.
The teenager asked to live with his sister if released on supervised bail, with his defence lawyer arguing he was vulnerable in youth detention due to his young age and an intellectual disability.
The lawyer said the boy has ambitions to become a mechanic and re-engage with schooling or TAFE if he is released.
The magistrate will hand down her decision on the bail application on Wednesday.
Get the day’s breaking news, entertainment ideas and a long read to enjoy. Sign up to receive our Evening Edition newsletter.
Most Viewed in National
From our partners
Source: Read Full Article