Ice rink forced to shut temporarily after 'carbon monoxide leak'

Popular ice rink forced to shut temporarily after ‘carbon monoxide leak’ leaves visitors feeling unwell

  • Planet Ice in Widnes closed over the weekend after complaints from visitors 

A popular ice rink has been forced to temporarily close after a suspected carbon monoxide leak was found.

Planet Ice in Widnes, Cheshire, shut suddenly closed on Monday citing ‘unforeseen circumstances’, after reports of visitors falling ill following an ice hockey match.

Following a game on Saturday, Planet Ice urged people who felt unwell to ‘seek medical advice’.

The venue has since closed, with gas company Cadent confirming it was called out but found no problems with its system or supply.

Halton Borough Council, which covers Widnes, confirmed to MailOnline the site remains closed today and its environmental health team is investigating the issue.

Planet Ice in Widnes closed over the weekend after reports of a suspected carbon monoxide leak

Initial reports of people feeling unwell happened on Saturday, with a number of people complaining about headaches.

In comments left on both Planet Ice and Widnes Wild’s social media posts people complained of headaches and feeling unwell. 

One person claimed that anyone who is pregnant and visited the venue should ‘get checked over’.

Another person commented: ‘We were checked out [by medical personal] last night following symptoms. The walk in then sent us to A&E.’

One person commenting also claimed that a fan had been to hospital and was told he had carbon monoxide in his blood.

A spokesperson for Environmental Health at Halton Borough Council said: ‘Investigations have continued, and testing carried out at the site identified carbon monoxide. The owners of the business have been informed and are working with us to ensure there is no further risk to the public. Planet Ice remains closed.

‘Environmental Health has advised the owners as to actions they can take to ensure that the incident does not occur again. It will remain closed until our officers are assured that it is safe.’

Following the game on Saturday Planet Ice urged people who felt unwell to ‘seek medical advice’

Earlier today a spokesperson for gas emergency service Cadent told the BBC there did not appear to be any issue with the gas system.

It said: ‘As the gas emergency service, we responded to reports of a possible carbon monoxide incident at the ice rink venue.

‘Our engineers made sure everything was safe, which included isolating the gas supply to the building.

‘We were able to establish that the local gas network is sound and did not contribute to what has happened.

‘The matter is now being looked into by environmental health teams.’

In a social media post issued on Sunday, Planet Ice confirmed it had ‘temporarily closed’ due to ‘unforeseen circumstances’. 

It has since issued a statement through the Widnes Wild website, saying on Tuesday: ‘Following concerns relating to a report of carbon monoxide levels at the rink at the weekend – Planet Ice Widnes is currently closed.

‘The cause of the concern has now been identified and addressed.

‘In the meantime, anyone who was present at the site at the weekend is advised to seek medical advice if they feel unwell.’

MailOnline has contacted Planet Ice and Halton Council for additional comment.

Source: Read Full Article