Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre set to hand over secret document which could defeat her case
PRINCE Andrew’s sex assault accuser has agreed to hand over a secret document which his legal team believes may defeat her bombshell lawsuit.
Lawyers for Virginia Roberts Giuffre will give a copy of a “release” signed in 2009 – following her settlement with sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein – to the duke, The Sun On Sunday can reveal.
Andrew’s attorneys hope the clause will exempt Queen’s second son from any culpability in her sex assault claims against him – but Virginia’s lawyers have branded it “irrelevant”.
The secret agreement is said to not apply to the royal – instead releasing lawyers, employees, agents and heirs from liability in connection with the Epstein case.
Virginia’s lead lawyer, David Boies, revealed in a new legal document, filed in New York this week, that he was happy to hand the document over to Andrew’s team.
He said: “Although we believe that the release is irrelevant to the case against Prince Andrew, now that service has been accepted and the case is proceeding to a determination on the merits, we believe that counsel for Prince Andrew have a right to review the release and to make whatever arguments they believe appropriate based on it.
“Accordingly, we have given Mr Epstein’s Estate notice of Prince Andrew’s request and have asked the Estate to consent to our providing a copy of the release to Prince Andrew’s counsel.”
It came as the prince’s US lawyer, Andrew Brettler, finally agreed he had been served – and revealed that the royal would respond to Virginia’s explosive claims by October 29.
The move formally marked an end to Andrew’s wall of silence strategy – with his lawyers promising “dismantle” his sex accuser’s allegations in detail.
Sources close to the Duke of York confirmed to The Sun On Sunday that he is to try and turn the tables on Virginia Roberts Giuffre by challenging her account.
Virginia, now 38, claims she was forced to have sex with the duke in London, at Jeffrey Epstein’s Manhattan townhouse and on his Caribbean island.
She is trying to win damages in a New York civil lawsuit.
A source close to the duke said: “By launching this civil case, Mrs Giuffre has actively invited legal scrutiny of her own version of events.
“This provides an opportunity for The duke’s team to properly scrutinise the multiple inconsistencies in her narrative that have emerged over the years, and you can expect to see a rigorous defence of all her allegations.”
Virginia had originally claimed that the duke drank a cocktail in London – when he says he is teetotal.
In a previous court document, she also alleged there were four encounters with Andrew, when her writ only details three.
A well-placed source with knowledge of the proceedings added: “The decision to bring in high-profile US lawyer Andrew Brettler to fight the civil case marks a significant turning point in approach.
“The US team will be looking to robustly engage and challenge the claims from Mrs Giuffre in a bid to provide the duke with a platform to finally clear his name.
“They will be looking to examine and dismantle the claims one by one.”
Prince Andrew has vehemently denied Virginia Giuffre's accusations
Source: Read Full Article