Tory PM leadership rivals go head-to-head TODAY with at least one eliminated from race by 5pm | The Sun
LEADERSHIP hopefuls will spend today battling for the support of 30 Tory MPs, with those who fail being axed from the race to be PM this afternoon.
As the Conservative leadership competition heats up, the contender with the lowest number of votes by 5pm today – even if they meet the 30 threshold – will be knocked out.
As of this morning there are still eight candidates in the running to be the next PM.
The hot favourite to win is Rishi Sunak.
The former Chancellor has the public backing of 53 MPs, so will sail through today’s round of the competition.
Penny Mordaunt will also pass today’s ballot, with the second highest number of supporters at 32.
READ MORE POLITICS
Official list of Tory PM candidates revealed to do battle in vote tomorrow
Tory MP ran over and killed neighbour’s cat – making him target of vigilante mob
For the remaining six candidates, the battle for backers is on.
They have until 3.30pm, when today’s ballot closes, to meet the 30 votes threshold.
At 5pm Sir Graham Brady, the Chairman of the 1922 backbench committee, will announce who’s made the cut.
TORY LEADERSHIP RACE – TIMETABLE
WEDNESDAY July 13
– 1.30-3.30pm: Tory MPs vote in person or by proxy in Parliament for their preferred candidate to be the next party leader.
– Around 5pm: The results of the first round are announced by 1922 chair Sir Graham Brady. The candidate with the fewest votes is eliminated, as is anyone with fewer than 30 votes.
– Straight after: The remaining candidates field questions from Tory MPs at the 1922 hustings.
THURSDAY July 14
– Tory MPs vote in the second ballot and the candidate with the fewest votes is eliminated.
FRIDAY July 15
– The remaining candidates go head to head in the first TV debate live on Channel 4 at 7pm.
SUNDAY July 17
– They will then do battle again with a debate on ITV at 7pm.
MONDAY July 18
– The remaining candidates are put before Tory MPs at the third ballot. By this stage there could just be three candidates left, meaning the final two will emerge. Sky News will host the third TV debate at 7pm
TUESDAY July 19 – FRIDAY July 22
– Knockout ballots will happen daily until just two candidates are left standing.
FRIDAY July 22
– The final two candidates tour the country trying to win the votes of 100,000 or so ordinary party members who will decide the next PM.
MONDAY September 5
– The results of the vote is announced and Britain's next PM is revealed
Tom Tugendhat, Kemi Badenoch, Nadhim Zahawi, Jeremy Hunt and Suella Braverman are all struggling to hit the 30 mark.
Liz Truss is five supporters away from joining Mr Sunak and Ms Mordaunt in the safe zone.
Most read in The Sun
SPACE Of YOU
Ed Sheeran’s baby daughter’s VERY unique name revealed after secret pregnancy
SPACE Of YOU
Mo lied to my face in front of millions – I've never been prouder of my friend
Jacques O'Neill quit villa after a FIGHT with Adam Collard, claim fans
Moment Jacques breaks down in tears and QUITS on tonight's Love Island
The Foreign Secretary secured a major win for her campaign this morning as former Tory leader Sir Iain Duncan Smith came out to endorse her.
Influential Brexiteer Mark Francois came out to endorse Ms Truss this morning too.
Source: Read Full Article