Urgent warning to parents over baby bath seats after tragic drowning death of nine-month-old boy | The Sun

A CORONER has called for a national safety campaign on the dangers of baby bath chairs after a newborn tragically drowned.

Nine-month-old Chester Mossop, who was "healthy and well looked after", sadly died in Cockermouth, Cumbria, after he was left unattended in the seat for just a few minutes in June 2022.

An inquest found that the boy's seat had become "unfixed" – causing his head to slip under the bathwater before he was found face-down.

The baby was given CPR and transported by air ambulance to the Great North children’s hospital at the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle.

However, despite the best efforts of emergency services, Chester tragically died three days later.

On Friday senior coroner Kirsty Gomersal issued a stark warning to parents of the dangers of the contraptions, urging parents not to be lulled into a "false sense of security".

read more in news

BBC chairman resigns as report finds he breached rules over £800k Boris loan

Family of dog walker ‘murdered by schoolgirl and boys in park’ speak out

Highlighting a series of similar fatal cases, Gomersal penned a report sent to the NHS Office for Product Safety and Standards regarding the dangers of baby bath seats – a popular purchase for parents.

Reflecting on the tragic circumstances of Chester's death, Ms Gomersal said: "After approximately 20 minutes of bath time, Chester was left alone in his bath seat.

"After a few minutes, Chester was found face down in the bath, the bath seat having become unfixed – was given immediate CPR which was continued by attending police, paramedics and clinicians."

Ms Gomersal concluded that the contraptions were not a silver bullet for a baby's safety during bath time.

Most read in The Sun


Secret plans from £1.3bn nuclear sub found in toilet cubicle at Wetherspoons pub


Major rule change for dog owners as common pet accessory banned


EastEnders star arrested on suspicion of child sex offence


Couple ordered to demolish £80k extension as it's 2 INCHES too close to neighbour

She continued: “I am aware of similar tragic deaths to Chester’s and inquests held by my fellow coroners.

“The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (Rospa) is also aware of fatal and non-fatal incidents.

"I am concerned that bath seats may give parents a false sense of security that their child is safe.

"Bath seats are not safety devices.”

Ms Gomersal recorded a verdict of accidental death.

The coroner received a statement from the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) about the myths of baby bath seat safety.

Relaying concerns expressed by RoSPA in the statement, Ms Gomersal said:

"Baby bath seats are unstable and prone to toppling over leaving the baby trapped in the water.

"Bath seats may give parents and carers a false sense of security that baby is safer in a bath seat and can be left alone (despite warnings that this should not happen).

"There can be a misconception that a baby bath seat is a safety product – this is not the case.

Read More on The Sun

Woman who had a mummy makeover says she woke up looking like a box

I’m A Celebrity fans baffled as Carol Vorderman appears on This Morning

"Under no circumstances should parents regard bath seats as a safety aid and leave a child out of arms reach.

"There may be some bath seats that are less stable than others or that have inadequate methods to hold them in place."

Source: Read Full Article