Prince Philip, 99, spotted leaving London hospital after 1 month stay, heart procedure
Britain’s Prince Philip was spotted leaving King Edward VII’s Hospital in London on Tuesday after a one-month hospital stay.
The Duke of Edinburgh, 99, was photographed Tuesday morning being helped into a waiting car outside the hospital.
“The Duke of Edinburgh has today been discharged from King Edward VII’s Hospital and has returned to Windsor Castle, following treatment for an infection and a successful procedure for a pre-existing condition,” Buckingham Palace said in a statement. “His Royal Highness wishes to thank all the medical staff who looked after him at both King Edward VII’s Hospital and St Bartholomew’s Hospital, and everyone who has sent their good wishes.”
A royal source told ABC News the duke is in good spirits following his hospital stay.
Philip, who will turn 100 in June, was initially transported by car from Windsor, England, to King Edward VII’s Hospital on Feb. 16 for what Buckingham Palace described as a “precautionary measure” after the duke reported feeling unwell.
He was then transferred on March 1 to St. Bartholomew’s Hospital in east London. Buckingham Palace said at the time that doctors would “continue to treat him for an infection, as well as undertake testing and observation for a pre-existing heart condition.”
Prince Philip transferred back to private hospital after procedure for pre-existing heart condition: Palace
Prince Philip poses with Queen Elizabeth in new photo to mark his 99th birthday
Queen Elizabeth, Prince Philip celebrate 73rd wedding anniversary with card from George, Charlotte and Louis
Philip later underwent a “successful procedure” at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital for his pre-existing heart condition, according to Buckingham Palace.
He was transferred back to King Edward VII’s Hospital on March 5 and was expected to remain hospitalized “for continuing treatment for a number of days,” the palace said in a statement at the time.
The duke’s hospitalization was not COVID-19-related, a royal source told ABC News. Both Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip received COVID-19 vaccinations earlier this year.
King Edward VII’s Hospital is located closer to Windsor Castle, the royals’ residence in the English county of Berkshire, outside London. St. Bartholomew’s Hospital is a larger facility that specializes in cardiovascular treatment, according to the hospital’s website.
While Philip was hospitalized in London, Queen Elizabeth remained at Windsor Castle, where the couple has been staying for most of the coronavirus pandemic.
The queen and Philip celebrated their 73rd wedding anniversary in November.
Philip’s recent hospitalization took place against a backdrop of family turmoil. While the duke was hospitalized, his grandson, Prince Harry, and wife Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, gave a bombshell interview to Oprah Winfrey in which they made allegations of racism and revealed tensions in the royal family.
Source: Read Full Article