Travis Scott's Astroworld Festival slammed as 'the worst poorly managed, disorganized concert' before deadly stampede
TRAVIS Scott’s Astroworld Festival has been slammed by a concert-goer as the “worst poorly managed” and “disorganized” they had been to.
A total of eight people tragically lost their lives Friday at the NRG Park, Houston, when a crowd of around 50,000 people stampeded.
Those killed ranged in ages from 14 to 27 while Scott said he was "absolutely devastated".
Actor Washington Ho, who was attending the Astroworld Festival with his wife Leslie, slammed the organizers Live Nation saying the event was “poorly managed”.
He told The Sun: “I've been to concerts all my life, but this was definitely the worst poorly managed, disorganized concert.”
Washington, who appears in HBO’s House of Ho, had been given special passes by Levi’s but he said things got “crazy” even when they were waiting in line to get into the VIP area.
“We wanted to support a local Houston artist and it was kind of pretty exciting to go, but it got crazy when we were trying to get to our special VIP spot,” Washington said.
“There was like a single file line. It was just like it felt like a herd of cattle trying to fight through this little, like probably eight-foot-long gate. So imagine trying to get like 10,000 people trying to get through a little gate who all want to see you know, Travis Scott."
He added: “And by the time my wife and I got closer to the gate, we wanted to turn it around because we were like, this is too crazy. We're standing there for probably I felt like forever but I think it was a good like hour.”
The situation then worsened, according to Washington, with security staff being slow to let people through and people in the queue started “pushing and shoving."
Read our Travis Scott Astroworld Festival live blog for the very latest news and updates…
Washington said: “They would let you through the gate and they had this one d**k security dude who was like everybody had the right wristband but they wouldn't let us through.
“And he was just a d**k all night and you know, letting like one person in per minute, you know, and everyone just started getting really anxious and angry and started pushing, shoving and then you know, by the time me and my wife wanted to turn around the cops like pulled out their tasers and s**t.”
Once the crowd realised the cops were not carrying guns, Washington claimed the crowd then just “bum rushed” and the cops were unable to maintain control.
'THE COPS HAD NO POWER'
He said: “Once someone screamed like oh, the cops don't have guns and people just bum rushed, like didn't give a shit. And the cops had no control. Me and my wife were like the cops had no power. They had no police power.”
Fortunately for Washington and his wife, they left early because it was “getting too rowdy” and were unhurt.
Basil Baig, the brother of Danish Baig, 27, who died at the event, also claimed in a Facebook post the event was “managed poorly”.
University of Dayton student Franco Patino, 21, also lost his life at the concert, according to The Dayton Daily News.
Another Houston schoolgirl, Brianna Rodriguez, 16, also perished in the disaster, according to People Magazine.
Rudy Peña, a Laredo man, was also among the victims, The Laredo Morning Times said.
Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner has released the ages for seven of the eight victims including a 14-year-old, along with those aged 16, 21, 21, 23, 23 and 27.
The age of the 8th victim is still unknown at this time, according to Turner.
OVERCOME WITH EMOTION
In videos posted to Instagram on Saturday, Scott was overcome with emotion as he gave a statement about his actions during the tragic first night of the Astroworld Festival.
"My fans really mean the world to me and I always wanna leave them with a positive experience and anytime I can make out anything that’s going on, I stop the show and help them get the help they need, you know?" he said.
The rapper, whose real name is Jacques Bermon Webster II added that he is working with the proper authorities and is asking fans from the event to do the same.
"If you have any information, please just contact your local authorities. Everyone continue to just keep your prayers."
Live Nation Entertainment and its subsidiary Live Nation Worldwide have been linked to at least 750 injuries and around 200 deaths at its events in seven countries since 2006, according to a review of court records, Occupational Safety and Health complaints and news reports, the Houston Chronicle has claimed.
The company has also come under federal scrutiny for work safety and antitrust violations.
The US Sun has contacted Live Nation for comment.
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The US Sun team?
Email us at [email protected] or call 212 416 4552.
Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheSunUS and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSunUS
Source: Read Full Article